WANTED: Masters or PhD Graduates in science, technology or engineering
Fletcher Building is a significant employer, manufacturer, home builder, and partner on major construction and infrastructure projects.
This position reports directly into the Innovation Team in Fletcher Building working closely with the sustainability team.
This project is focused on creating a circular economy for wood panels. The circular economy is based on three principles: design out waste, keep materials in use, and regenerate natural systems. It’s about product stewardship and having options for products when they reach the end of their life.
They have already identified several options to create a circular economy with wood panels by reusing, redesigning and remanufacturing wood panels but they need to know more. The next stage for the project that they are looking for an intern to support us with includes:
• Researching solutions to reuse, redesign, and remanufacture wood panels.
• Finding customer data (e.g. amount and quality of waste generated, locations, etc.), including phone conversations and possible visits.
• Understanding what these solutions would look like in reality for Fletcher Building. This will require an understanding of how the solution works and how Fletcher Building and the wider supply chain operates.
• Evaluating options and make recommendations on the pathways for Fletcher Building to pursue from sustainability and economic standpoints.
• Developing plans for initial technical and/or feasibility trials.
• Self-starter – you will be supported by a broader team but ideally you are someone that can work independently.
• Research skills, which will involve liaising with people within Fletcher Building and external companies.
• Good data/analytical and organisation skills are required.
• Problem solving and innovative thinking – you’re keen to make this happen even though there will be challenges along the way that will require some creative thinking.
• Interested in sustainability.
This internship will be based at Fletcher Building head office in Penrose, Auckland.
This project going ahead is dependent on Fletcher Building receiving funding from Callaghan Innovation in the form of a R&D Career Grant. Applicants must therefore meet the eligibility requirements for this, these include (copied from the Callaghan Innovation website):
• Be about to complete, or have recently completed, a masters or PhD degree in science, technology, engineering, design or business i.e. have submitted a thesis for marking (or completed course requirement for taught masters) less than 12 months ago
• Have undertaken the study at a New Zealand tertiary institution if you are not a New Zealand citizen
• Be legally permitted to work in New Zealand
• Not have been employed in the industry under a professional arrangement related to your area of study except temporary, part-time or at a tertiary organisation
• Not have been previously employed at the business – unless this was short-term employment (e.g. over the summer break).
More information about the R&D Career Grant is available on the Callaghan Innovation website.